This Pom Pom Vans Old Skool Is the Next DIY Project You Need to Try
Here’s how to customize your own fuzzy shoe at home.
Fuzzy shoes are definitely here to stay this spring/summer season. From Rihanna‘s cult-favorite Fenty PUMA Fur Slide to Local Heroes x Reebok Classic’s pastel NPC II, the trend has been taking over the fashion scene lately. For those who’re looking for a furry footwear option that won’t break the bank, here’s the perfect solution for you: why not customize your own pair with sneakers that you already own?
Courtesy of Vans Girls, you can now follow this simple, step-by-step tutorial to create your own pom pom Vans Old Skool. Yes, we’re talking about those homemade pom poms that every ’90s kid was obsessed with back in the day. Learn how to make your own pair by going through the directions below:
DIY Pixie Pom Old Skools
Mono Canvas Old Skool
1 package of yarn
1. Reduce, reuse, recycle! Be the ultimate Vans Girl and use your Vans shoebox to make the pom pom maker!
2. Place a cup upside down on the cardboard and trace it twice, creating two circles.
3. In the center of each circle, draw a smaller circle (about the size of a quarter).
4. Cut along the outlines of each circle. Then cut into the center and cutout the inner circle (like a donut). Remove about half an inch of the cardboard from the donut shape to form a small opening. The size doesn’t have to be exact, the opening will help to make wrapping the yarn easier! Repeat with both circles.
5. Place the two cardboard circles together (back-to-back) and begin wrapping with yarn.
6. Once you’ve wrapped the yarn around the cardboard from one end to the other, go back the opposite way with a second layer of yarn until you get to where you started.
7. Hold the inside of the circle, securing the yarn in place. Carefully stick your scissors in between the two pieces of cardboard and cut the yarn along the top edge. Keep all of the yarn pieces inside of the cardboard circle.
8. Once all of the yarn is cut, take a new piece of yarn (about 4-5 inches) and thread it in-between the two pieces of cardboard. This acts as a guide to help tie the yarn together.
9. Triple knot the ends together and remove the pom pom from the cardboard guide. Leave the tail ends long (you will use these to tie them onto the shoes).
10. Trim any uneven ends to make the pom pom more even.
11. Repeat steps 5-10 until you have 4 pom poms.
12. Tie one pom pom onto the very bottom shoelace with a triple knot. Tie another pom pom three laces up from the bottom and secure with a triple knot.
13. Repeat with the other shoe, and there you have it, Pixie Pom Old Skools!
- Image Credit
- Vans Girls