How To Make the 'Squid Game' Sugar Honeycomb at Home
Made popular by the Netflix hit, the traditional Korean treat requires only two ingredients.
As Squid Game races to the top of Netflix charts around the world, the dystopian series’ sugar honeycomb challenge — featured in episode 3 “The Man With the Umbrella” — has become a trending topic across social media platforms, especially on TikTok.
While you may know the sugar honeycomb challenge from the smash-hit Netflix drama, it is actually a classic game that most Koreans will remember from their childhood. The snack, also known as dalgona or ppopgi, is typically sold near schools where kids will spend their pocket money. After choosing a shape, you are given a chance to eat around the pattern without breaking the honeycomb. If you make it through the challenge, vendors will usually reward you with another dalgona or even small toys.
@bakersmanncookies Binge watched the whole season until 5am this morning ? #squidgame #squidgamenetflix #honeycomb ♬ Squid Game – Carrot
With the global success of Squid Game, many fans have been trying out the challenge themselves. Read on and watch HYPEBAE‘s own TikTok tutorial below to learn how you can make the sugar honeycomb at home.
Dalgona is a simple snack that requires only two ingredients to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- A pinch of baking soda
1. Heat the sugar in a metal ladle or a small pan until caramelized. Make sure to keep stirring with a wooden chopstick to prevent the sugar from burning.
2. Once the sugar turns into a caramel brown color, add a pinch of baking soda and continue to stir.
3. Turn off the heat once the mixture reaches a golden beige color.
4. Pour the sugar onto a baking sheet.
5. Wait a few seconds. Just before the sugar is about to set, flatten the mixture with a round disc or pan.
6. Use a cutter to create a design or shape of your choice.
- Image Credit
- Youngkyu Park/Netflix