Room Sprays Are the Easiest Way To Freshen Up Your Home — Here's How To Make One
A guide to creating your own home fragrance mist.
For a quick and inexpensive way to freshen up your space, consider bringing the benefits of aromatherapy to your home by making your own room spray. Requiring only a few supplies and ingredients, including a cocktail of essential oils of your choice, homemade room sprays make for a fun DIY project that’s easy enough to do on a leisurely weekend. Not only can a home fragrance mist help create a beautiful-smelling bedroom when used on pillows and linens, but as P.F. Candle Co.‘s Kristen Pumphrey tells us, a few spritz of it in the home office can also effectively “bring focus and calm to your work day.”
In the latest installment of HYPEBAE’s How To video series, Pumphrey, who recently launched the book At Home with Fragrance with brand co-owner Thomas Neuberger, walks us through the steps of making a room spray at home. Continue reading for a guide to blending your own mist, and head to the P.F. Candle Co. website to shop its new book and collection of mood-lifting room sprays.
View this post on Instagram
Tools and Materials You’ll Need
- 2 oz. Spray bottle
- Distilled water, ~2 oz.
- Rosemary essential oil, 1 ml/30 drops
- Frankincense essential oil, 0.5 ml/15 drops
- Lavender essential oil, 0.5 ml/15 drops
- Vodka, 2 ml/60 drops
Benefits of Essential Oils
Rosemary: It aids in cognition and will compose the bulk of our fragrance blend. It is green and terpenic, and has an aromatic quality that opens you up.
Frankincense: It is comforting and warm, but a little spicy, which brings focus.
Lavender: We all need a little calm in our work day, but lavender also has a nice citrus element that lifts the scent up.
1. Make an emulsification of the vodka and essential oil in the spray bottle.
2. Blend 15 drops (or 0.5 ml) each of the frankincense and lavender essential oil, and 30 drops of the rosemary essential oil.
3. Add 2 ml (or 60 drops) of vodka. Shake to emulsify.
4. Fill the the rest of the bottle with distilled water, a little less than 2 oz. Shake to combine.
5. Spray on pillows or linens to bring focus throughout your work day.